Originally it was erected in proximity of today's Via del Corso. In 1938, during the bimillenary Augustus celebrations, the altar was rebuilt by G. Moretti in Piazza Augusto. The original fragments were integrated with copies of them.
It is a square enclosure with an altar in its middle. All the surfaces are decorated with marble friezes and relieves of Greek artists.