The Palazzo Montecitorio is located on the homonymous square.
It was commissioned in 1653 by Prince Niccolò Ludovisi to Gian Lorenzo Bernini. The construction was interrupted in 1655 for the death of the prince, and after almost 40 years pope Innocenzo XII commissioned Carlo Fontana to perform the assignment and completion of renovation.
In 1870 the palace became the seat of the Chamber of Deputies.
The current parliamentary chamber, decorated by Sartorio and Calandra and paneled in oak, was added in 1903 to 1927 by Ernesto Basile.
The main facade of Bernini is slightly convex. Clad in red brick and travertine presents insights naturalistic typically baroque. Only minor changes were made to it, by Fontana, useful for public office. The entrance consists of three adjacent ports divided by four Doric columns, the middle one is the greater and has a rectangular shape, while the side have an arc shape; above the triple portal has a loggia.
Inside there are, in addition to the parliamentary chamber, the corridors called "the lost steps" and "The Transatlantic". All rooms are decorated with fine furnishings and works of art, ancient and modern. Are interesting also, the main staircase, the Hall of the She-Wolf and the Library, founded in 1848, with over 400,000 volumes.